There are two methods of obtaining grafts from the donor area; FUE and FUT. This section summarizes a comparison of the two techniques. Please beware that surgeons that are not fully qualified in both techniques would probably just offer one technique. It is better to select a physician that is able to do both techniques at expert level.
When comparing Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE) and Follicular Unit Transplant (FUT / strip) technique patients should consider the following:
FUT / Strip Technique
- Does not require shaving all the hair.
- Leaves a thin linear scar at the donor area, however if done carefully the scar can be unnoticeable.
- As FUT is an invasive technique it can not be used in patients with susceptibility to keloids.
- Healing process is longer than FUE method.
- Microscopic dissection must be carefully done in order to maximize graft survival hence bring out desired results.
- With this method natural results can be achieved by highly qualified surgeon and team.
- Advances in medical technology using latest devices in FUE allows high quality hair transplantation in good candidates resulting in higher graft yield.
- Grafts are removed one by one using manual or motor devices. It does not require a strip cut out of the donor area.
- Only tiny scars could be temporaily visible on the nape of the scalp that heal naturally without need for stitches or bandages, hence no significant trace even you trim your hair to zero cut.
- FUE technique patients heal faster than FUT, less pain is experienced and one week after the transplant, the patient is completely healed.
- Can be used when donor hair comes from the body (chest, legs, beard)
- In repairing a poorly performed hair transplant, FUE provides the flexibility to reposition and rotate grafts.
- This technique allows graft transfer to inaccessible areas.
- Exhibits natural results in facial i.e. eyebrow, beard and moustache hair transplant.
- FUE requires shaving. By the end of 10-15 days post-op nobody will be able to detect the procedure.
Speedy healing, minimal trauma, natural angulation, direction and the distribution can be achieved using FUE or FUT with a well-trained hair transplant technician and a hair transplant surgeon who has a proven track record. Dr Civas, an ABHRS (American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery) certified surgeon, has an artistic hand and expert skills that always bring out natural looking results.